Wynters Wramblin's

Wynters Wramblin's is the name of the annual Christmas (or New Year's letter, if I'm late) that I publish and send to family and friends. I've missed a year here and there, so somehow the name just seems fitting for my blog. I hope that friends and family will visit here often and ENJOY!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Meet "Buddy" \o/




Here's an email I wrote to family and friends to announce my adoption of Buddy on Sep 1, 2007:

FINALLY! I HAVE A DOG!!!

Buddy is a UKC registered (standard) Rat Terrier, 23#, a BEAUTIFUL, healthy 4-year old. Already housebroken, Buddy has ALL the features I was looking for in my choice of dogs for this time in my life. We have bonded quickly! He's white with many black spots and bit of tan here and there on his head/face, a handsome young fellow!

Buddy is a bit larger than my mini-schnauzer, Kasey (1988-2001), who was 18#-20#, but he 'feels' a lot the same--for example, he's a 'little boy' not a small fluffy baby... so I won't be carrying him around, tucked under my arm, wrapped in a baby blankie!

Buddy belonged to a young man who has gone into the Job Corp. The rest of his family who live in Emmett are busy with other critters [horses, raising Toy Rat Terriers... We saw goats, cats, etc., a tidy clean place, and all animals well-cared for] and this little dog needed a person to give him lots of love and attention... that person has turned out to be ME!

The Rat Terrier breed caught my attention about three years ago when I first went to Florida and we were looking for a dog for Miss Jess, but I never DREAMED I'd ever have one! Isn't it interesting how these things work out? I've been interested in Fox Terriers for many years and always WANTED one! These are closely related and, in many ways, the Rat Terrier breed is more suited to me at this stage of my life! I'm so happy to have an adult dog that is fitting right into my home, schedule, etc., without a bunch of puppy-training to do! :) I love intelligence in my men and my dogs, and he's certainly intelligent and a gentleman!! :)

Here's an excellent website, if you're interested, on the breed: http://www.ratterrierclub.com/

Love, Linda/Lyn/Sis/Mom/Nana/Cousin/ETC...

PS I wrote the above on Sunday, Sep 2, and it is now Friday, Sep 14... We've run into a serious snag with this precious little guy, but I'm committed to keep him! Buddy suffers from Separation Anxiety, a 'panic attack' type of thing, NOT a behavioral issue. I have read up on it, with specific steps to follow, and we're working on the problem! Hopefully we will have it solved soon so that we can live a peaceful, happy life together and I won't be totally confined to home! Although I wouldn't complain (for awhile) if that has to be! Ha! We're gonna make it!!! :)

His disorder seems to be rather mild, in comparision to some I've read about. Hey! I look at it as better than trying to housebreak a new puppy, and putting up with the chewing, puppy stage! Buddy is so well-behaved and appears to have had excellent training; he's just going through some trauma during this big change in his life! Or maybe that's WHY the family was anxious to find a new home for him??

UPDATE: Jan 25, 2008 ~ Buddy is doing well! He obediently goes into his kennel/carrier when I am at church, shopping, etc. I don't leave him alone any longer than an hour or so, and he's doing better and better, realizing that I WILL 'be back' ... Buddy is definately a KEEPER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home